Signs of October are finally upon us! The A/C is no longer running, gusts of cool wind swirl through the streets and Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spiced Lattes adorn passersby. The sun is staying asleep longer in the mornings and the smell of holiday baking fills the air. Scarves, gloves and dark colors like eggplant and forest green make a comeback and fireplaces begin to smoke again.
I for one love the month of October more than any other. Aside from the fact that I get to indulge in a very serious boot addiction, October is the month I met my husband. It also marks the transition from summer to fall and the start of the holiday season. It signifies family and friends and parties, celebrations, baking, cooking and lots of eating! It’s a joyous time.
As we jump head first into piles of fallen leaves this fall, here are a few more things I’m excited about for the month of October!
- Kidvasion: During the entire month of October, kids eat, stay and play for free throughout San Diego! Yes, for FREE! With over 100 participating partners like Legoland, San Diego Zoo, museums and local restaurants and hotels, there are incredible deals to be had. It’s a great opportunity to plan an impromptu family vacation especially if you’re looking to save money. Don’t miss out! For more info, click here.
- Oktoberfest: While Oktoberst is a celebration of Bavarian culture as a whole, most of us are only interested in one thing – the beer. Ok maybe that is not entirely true. The schnitzel, live polka bands and drunken girls in milkmaid outfits are pretty entertaining as well. Visit here, for a great list of Oktoberfest celebrations happening across Los Angeles throughout October.
- Halloween: Remember how I mentioned meeting my husband in October? Well, we actually met on Halloween so you can imagine the gusto with which we celebrate our favorite holiday of the year. Lucky for us, Los Angeles is riddled with activities to keep us entertained. Knott’s Scary Farm, Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights and Queen Mary Dark Harbor are but a few options for those looking for a good fright night. Disneyland’s Halloween Time, Calabasas Pumpkin Festival and trick-or-treating at the Malibu Country Mart are all great family friendly choices. And for those looking for something unique, try the West Hollywood Halloween Carnival.
- Baking & Decorating: As I mentioned above, Halloween marks the beginning of a creativity kick-off that lasts until New Years. Homes become haunted houses, spider webs and skulls adorn entryways, black crows and evil potions grace dining room tables and sewing machines work diligently into the night making Batman costumes and princess dresses. Candy apples and ghost shaped cookies line the grocery aisles and neighbors hand out homemade pumpkin bread. It’s a time to indulge in our imaginations and our sweat tooth and I for one can’t wait!
- Birthdays: Last but not least, October is the moth that both my sister and my husband were born. In fact, they share the same birthday of October 2nd. It’s so much love piled into one day and I am bursting with gratitude that I get to share a life with these two very special people. Happy Birthday to the love of my life and to my baby sister! May be years continue to grace you both with health, contentment and an endless supply of opportunities that bring you to your highest and best purpose. All my love.
So, that wraps up my list of things to be happy about this month. It’s certainly not everything that October has to offer but it’s among my favorites.
What are you excited about this month?
– The Confessioness